Tuesday 14 June 2011

Proposal

Compositing is a key process in the visual effects industry, responsible for creating and finalizing cgi and real motion video, often with the use of a green screen.

This area of visual effects really interests me and I would like to develop my skills further in hopes of a future career.  Many composition effects require a lot of pre assets, 3d models, shot footage etc.  Although I could spend time producing these assets, I want to focus on the composition process fully,  this is also how a production studio pipeline would work, the compositor is provided with the assets to work with and then pass on thro the pipeline.  

Set extension (matteing) is a common composition task, I decided to focus on this visual effect.
Although I do not have access to a studio and green screen set, I could still apply this effect to excisting footage or even 3d work I'd completed in the past.  With this chosen it would provide a great opportunity for research and to further develop skills.  The research could cover both After Effects and 3d max, as max can produce video files in different channels and camera matching, perfect for composition.
Matching footage is also an important part of the visual effect, with this project I can practice and research camera matching live footage or inside 3d max with its built in tools.

Matching is such an important part of visual compositing, I will spend extra research and time developing further knowledge and skills in this area.  Without correct point mapping and matching for live footage, it is almost impossible to composite correctly.

Here is my plan of action.
  • Research set extension and matte digital painting effects and techniques.
  • Research camera matching and camera tracking in 3d Max and After Effects.
  • Gather or produce assets to compile the finished effect.
  • Produce a video including the set extension visual effect, either live footage or using a 3d max render.

I hope all these research aspects and task can provide me with a good learning experiance and future insight into compositon workflow for a production company.

No comments:

Post a Comment